Wednesday, 7 August 2013

Nigella's Marmalade Pudding Cake

This marmalade pudding cake was screaming for my attention ever since I got Nigella's Kitchen in my (ever growing) 'Kitchen Library'. But somehow I never got around to make it. Although every time I used to browse thought the book (mostly at bed time....yeah I m one of those weirdos who read cookery/bakery books/ magazines at bedtime....but be warned all of Nigella's books are pretty much on the heavier side to hold while trying to read on bed) I ended up salivating while looking at the picture and the recipe. Cook Like A Star gave me perfect excuse to try this one. I also did the baked egg custard to pair with this ( as suggested by Nigella) but that's for next post :).
   
                                         Come take a closer look :)      

It's one of the most gloriously tender cake (see Nigella's word-spinning is rubbing off on me) with a light texture like steamed sponge and taste wise, I must say, it ticked all the right boxes for me. It is tangy, not bitter, it has delicious caramalised sweetness owing to the use of light brown sugar but at the same time it's not overly tooth achingly sweet. Surely it's on my 'Will Bake Again' list.
   
      
Marmalade Pudding Cake
Adapted from Nigella Lawson's Kitchen

Ingredients:
  • 250 grams soft unsalted butter (plus some for greasing)
  • 75 grams caster sugar
  • 75 grams light brown muscovado sugar
  • 225 grams marmalade (75g of which for the glaze)
  • 225 grams plain flour
  • ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
  • teaspoon baking powder
  • large eggs
  • zest and juice of orange ( reserve juice of ½ orange for glaze)

Method:
Preheat the oven to 180°C and butter an 8inch square ovenproof dish ( i made it in my 8 inch round cake tin). Put the 75g marmalade and juice of ½ orange into a small pan and set aside to make a glaze later.
Put all the other ingredients for the pudding batter into a food processor, process them and then pour and scrape the batter into the buttered dish, smoothing the top. If you’re not using a processor, cream the butter and both sugars by hand or in a freestanding mixer, beat in the marmalade followed by the dry ingredients, then the eggs and finally the orange zest and juice.
Put in the oven and cook for about 40 minutes – though give a first check after ½ hour – by which time the sponge mixture will have risen and a cake tester will come out cleanish. Remove from the oven and leave in the dish.
Warm the glaze mixture in the pan until melted together, then paint the top of the sponge, letting the chunks or slivers of peel be your sole, unglinting decoration on top of the mutely gleaming pudding-cake. Use a large spoon or cake slice (or both) to serve, and put a jug of custard or cream on the table to eat with.

This post is linked to Cook Like A Star, organised by Zoe @Bake For Happy Kids and co-hosted by Joyce@Kitcen Flavours and me@ Simple-Baking. If you want to join in the event, simply cook or bake one of Nigella Lawson's recipe, from her website or books, and link with us for the whole month of August 2013. For more details please visit here.
    
                                                           Aug 20131.jpg


This  post is also linked to the event Little Thumbs Up hosted by Yen@Eat Your Heart Out and organised by Zoe@Bake For Happy Kids and Doreen @My Little Favourite DIY.


                                                         Photobucket

Happy Baking!!

19 comments:

  1. Oh Yummilicious! Love marmalade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the simple and amazing pudding. Will be posting my Nigella recipe soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG the cake is amazing , so soft and delicious it looks ... Today's post : http://nayanas-kitchen-kreations.blogspot.in/2013/08/multigrain-tawa-roasted-nippats.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading cookbooks at night also, it's like my personal "me" time haha. But many times I always end up hungry... that's the trigger for me to go to bed haha! The cake looks amazing and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow looks too perfect... and count me in. i am ur type too

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anuja,
    Haha! I was eyeing this recipe as well! It looks so moist and delicious! I just love this Kitchen book of Nigella! My book is tagged with dozens of stick-on notes! So many tempting recipes, and so little time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anuja,

    Every Nigella fans that I have know seems to have this book, Kitchen! I have bookmarked a lot of recipes from this book too but can't remember all because they are too many :p

    Now after reading your post, I have to go back to add one more... this marmalade pudding cake! - LOL!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tempting and flavorful,clicks are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this attracted my attention too
    after reading your review, i'm officially attached to this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Anuja, the cake looks very moist. Does it by any chance taste a little bit like sticky toffee pudding? Thanks for linking to LTU :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks delicious and moist, surprised you said it's not overly sweet with the amount of marmalade used. Have to bookmark this to try:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i came through baking partners here.you have wonderful recipes in your space.happy to follow you here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Anuja,

    Thank you for hosting Cook Like Star. I'm submitting my post Breakfast Bars here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Anuja, Thank you for sharing this recipe. I have a bottle of marmalade and now I can put it to good use.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks & sounds good! Love the texture of this pudding ! YUMMY! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Anuja, this cake look awesome and very moist. Great to go with coffee.
    Hey, hope you don't MIA too long. Be seeing you again, take care.

    With lots of love and hugs to you. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Anuja
    My name is anu and I work for Sunday midday newspaper. I am currently writing an article on baking bread and wanted to talk to you about it. Could you please get back to me at anuprabhakar184@gmail.com as soon as possible? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love Nigella's recipes! Your marmalade looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi
    First time on your blog...
    love it already will go through it ...
    It was great to see a Mumbai based blogger...
    GREAT WORK ..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...