Tuesday, 3 July 2012

Nigella's Devil's Food Cake

What do witches eat at Halloween?
Spook-etti, Halloweenies, Devil's food cake and Boo-berry pie
.


I love Devil's Food Cake! (who doesn't??) Does that make me a witch???? Well whatever.  I think witch or not, anybody would love a good, rich chocolate cake with a nice-healthy (as in huge or overabudant) helping of deep dark chocolate frosting.


Devil's food cake is a moist, airy, rich chocolate layer cake. It is considered a counterpart to the white or yellow angel food cake. Devil's food cake is generally more moist and airy than other chocolate cakes, and often uses cocoa as opposed to chocolate for the flavor as well as coffee.The lack of melted chocolate and the addition of coffee is typically what distinguishes a Devil's food cake from a chocolate cake, though some recipes call for all, resulting in an even richer chocolate flavor. The use of hot, or boiling water as the cake's main liquid, rather than milk, is also a common difference. Devil's food cake is sometimes distinguished from other chocolate cakes by the use of additional baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) which raises the pH level and makes the cake a deeper and darker mahogany color.


I made this cake for my brother & SIL's wedding anniversary, and thanks to the hot-HOT weather and overload of humidity, it proved to be a treacherous task to get that cake frosted and trasporting it to my brother's place without letting it slide over from my plate.

The cake has super tender crumb and the frosting is luscious and GOOEY. Now I should've stopped right there when I read "GOOEY" in Ms Lawson's description of this cake. Gooey does not bode well with hot and humid. When will I learn????

 The cake came out beautifully and full of chocolatey fragrance out of the oven and I was happy with the consistency of my filling. The problem started when I started assembling the cake. The upper layer was sliding off, on its own accord (and thats why the cake has a crooked look ) and I have to place it in refrigerator after every five minutes or so while applying the frosting all around. Had my AC on full blast while transporting the cake and after reaching my SIL's place it went straight into the refrigerator.


The verdict you ask??? Well who will not like a dark, moist chocolate cake with thick, shiny, gooey chocolate frosting all around it??

Devil's Food Cake
Adapted from Nigella Lawson
Ingredients:
50g best-quality cocoa powder, sifted
100g dark muscovado sugar
250ml boiling water
125g soft unsalted butter, plus some for greasing
150g caster sugar
225g plain flour
1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 eggs
for the frosting:
125ml water
30g dark muscovado sugar
175g unsalted butter cubed
300g best-quality dark chocolate finely chopped
2 x 20cm round cake tins

Method:
 Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
 Line the bottoms of both cake tins with baking parchment and butter the sides.
Put the cocoa and 100g dark muscovado sugar into a bowl with a bit of space to spare, and pour in the boiling water. Whisk to mix, then set aside.
Cream the butter and caster sugar together, beating well until pale and fluffy. While this is going on, stir the flour, baking powder and bicarb together in another bowl, and set aside for a moment. Dribble the vanilla extract into the creamed butter and sugar – mixing all the while – then drop in 1 egg, quickly followed by a scoopful of flour mixture, then the second egg.
Keep mixing and incorporate the rest of the dried ingredients for the cake, then finally mix and fold in the cocoa mixture, scraping its bowl well with a spatula. Divide this chocolatey batter between the 2 prepared tins and put in the oven for about 30 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
Take the tins out and leave them on a wire rack for 5–10 minutes, before turning the cakes out to cool.
As soon as the cakes are in the oven, get started on your frosting: put the water, 30g muscovado sugar and 175g butter in a pan over a low heat to melt. When this mixture begins to bubble, take the pan off the heat and add the chopped chocolate, swirling the pan so that all the chocolate is hit with heat, then leave for a minute to melt before whisking till smooth and glossy. Leave for about 1 hour, whisking now and again – when you’re passing the pan – by which time the cakes will be cooled, and ready for the frosting. The mixture will seem very runny for ages once the chocolate has melted and you will think you have a liquid gleaming glaze, beautiful but unfit for purpose; leave it for about an hour, as stipulated, though, and it will be perfect and spreadable.
Set one of the cooled cakes, with its top side down, on a cake stand or plate, and spread with about a third of the frosting, then top that with the second cake, regular way up, and spread the remaining frosting over the top and sides, swirling away with your spatula.

One more cake joke for you :D

 Flo: Try some of my sponge cake.
Joe: It's a bit tough.
Flo: That's strange. I only bought the sponge from the chemist this morning.


Ha ha!! Happy Baking!

27 comments:

  1. oooh this looks AMAZING!! Love your decorations. I'll have a slice please :) or maybe two! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ros, I have saved a piece for you! But first send me those awesome whoopie pies you made :D

      Delete
    2. Hurrah!! Unfortunately the whoopie pies have all gone :( I'll make more just for you as I really want to try your gorgeous cake! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Anuja, I'm another naughty DEVIL here so can I have 2 big slices since today is my birthday. Can order iced coffee too? LOL

    Love your cake, it look sinfully delicious so moist and so chocolatey. Yum yum.... the frosting look soooooo good, I'm sure will be licking my finger if I eat this cake of yours.

    Thanks for the jokes, my dear.
    BTW, you getting better?

    Have a nice day, regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amelia,
      M good. All fit and raring to go urr bake :D. Actually m having problem with my net and thats kinda slowed me down.
      Yup the cake was delicious and you are right, the frosting was finger licking good.
      Would love to send a slice with extra helping of frosting to you :D.
      xoxo
      Anuja

      Delete
  3. Love chocolaty cake! A Nigella recipe, seldom goes wrong! I've just made her Banana Bread today! Wish we are nearby, so we could share both our bakes and have tea together!
    Thanks for the funny joke! Hehehe! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi joyce,
      You are so right! I love Nigella's recipes. Would love to have a slice of your banana bread :D.
      xoxo
      Anuja

      Delete
  4. Mmmm... this certainly looks very chocolatey! A delicious and beautiful cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would happily swipe it with your white chocolate-pistachio cake!

      Delete
  5. WOW! A wicked decadent devilish cake that I adores! Lovely moist cake with sinful frosting, just so tempting! I would love to have this cake & be wicked once & awhile: Don't you? And again if you can't find anyone to finish this cake , just send them over to me! I love so have this devilish treat! hehehehe
    *^ wink-wink LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kit,
      Why leftovers? We'll bake a fresh one for you :D. This gooey treat was really delicious, perfect for sharing with friends and family.
      xoxo
      Anuja

      Delete
  6. Looks so sinful and decadent. Happy to be your new follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Radhika,
      Thank you so much for dropping by. Keep in touch
      Anuja

      Delete
  7. I am not the greatest cook on earth so this looks alot of work. But love to eat and try new food.
    www.thoughtsofpaps.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually it's not at all difficult. I always feel that it's the assembling of ingredients which is time consuming and daunting. Once everything is weighed and measured, you are ready to rock!
      Thanx for stopping by:D

      Delete
  8. I can sympathise with you. Baking in heat and humdity is not fun but I think you did a fabulous job. Seems as though we both have Nigella on our minds :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx MArcellina! Great minds think alike :D

      Delete
  9. Hi Anuja, I am new to you blog and love the cake...it looks so delectable :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoa, I have no words to describe the lusciously luscious frosting on there! Since all the slices are already gone, maybe I will wait for the next time with a puppy dog face and be the first to claim some! :) Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Since you are from Mumbai, give me a shout out!!

      Delete
  11. i enjoy eating this kind of chocolate cake and then be a devil! it's always a challenge for us frosting the cake in our hot weather..i know how frustrating it can be, messy and hv to move the cake in and out from the fridge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Lena,
      Welcome to the Devil's club!! :D
      Hot weather=frustration=mess....still we don't learn :D
      Have a great sunday dear!
      xoxo
      Anuja

      Delete
  12. Devil's chocolate cake is my all-time favorite chocolate cake! Enough now, I'm totally craving this and will have to make it to surprise Lora and family when they come back, from Italy, in a few days.
    BTW-Anuja, I hope you don't mind that I also took your converter widget, thanks, this will come in handy to convert the measurements!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey the widget's there for taking. M glad that you found it helpful.
      So your house sitting days are gonna be over now that Lora will be back! M sure you'll bake a storm to welcome them :D.
      Cant wait to see her posts after coming back from Italy!
      xoxo
      Anuja

      Delete
  13. Hey Anuja.....your cake looks so yummmmm....absolutely luscious. Im sure your Sil and bro must have swiped it off the plate:) I did try this cake last year, the same time and the response I got was hugs and kisses every now and then from friends ....now its my turn again to bake this cake. Unfortunately lost the recipe and while browsing found your blog. Great going and I guess you are also a Nigella fan as much as I am.
    Happy baking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suma,
      Thanx for stopping by.
      Yup this cake's sure a winner! Everybody who loves chocolate, adores this cake.
      Glad to meet another Nigella Fan :D.
      Regards

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...