Saturday, 14 July 2012

Lemon Almond Sheet Cookie

I had this post planned for mid-week posting but thanks to crappy net connections and power outages, the post got delayed. Anyhoo, m so relieved that the connections are restored and the UPS, at our place, is working (again...but dont know for how long).


You see I m now officially declared a BA, i.e., Blog Addict. Are you guys familiar with this term? Apparently this is some new medical phenomenon which has taken our bloggotopia by storm. No antidote or cure is available and the only line of treatment commonly prescribed and actually works is total undisturbed power and internet connection aided by the use and total control of personal computer or laptop.


So you guys want to know what I managed to get baked in the middle of power outages, my college and home commitments?? I know that you are also curious to know about my first week in the baking course, and I will surely share my experiences with you in the coming weeks and months. It seems that you can manage plenty if you are pressed for time and facing deadlines or hungry mouths. But lets leave everything else and talk about something sweet.


July is the month when Indian markets are flooded with discount and sales offers. And guess what I managed to lay hands on at the Landmark (sort of a giant bookstore) sale?? Old issues of Martha Stewart's Living, Southern Living and plenty more and that too for a mere Rs. 60 per magazine (originally priced at Rs. 500). I reckon that's quite a deal I got there and I grabbed as many copies as I possibly can.


This lemon cookie was featured in the October 2011 issue of the Martha Stewart Living. Martha says, think of these sweets as deconstructed biscotti. The cookies have a similar flavour, but here the dough is pressed into a single flat sheet for faster baking and then broken into jagged pieces.



Lemon Almond Sheet Cookie
Adapted from Martha Stewart Living, October 2011
Ingredients:
3/4 cup (85 grams) all-purpose flour
3/4 cup (100 grams) fine ground yellow cornmeal (you can use daliya, make sure to really ground it fine)
1 teaspoon anise seeds (saunf)
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch  of Coarse salt
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup (115 grams) plus 1 tablespoon sugar
1 large egg, plus 1 large egg white, lightly beaten for egg wash
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons sliced almonds

Method:
Preheat oven to 177 degree Celsius. Whisk together flour, cornmeal, anise seeds, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
Beat butter and 1/2 cup sugar with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in whole egg and zest. Reduce speed to low, and beat in flour mixture.
Press dough into an even 1/4-inch thickness on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush with egg wash; sprinkle with almonds and remaining tablespoon sugar. Bake until golden, 22 to 25 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack. Break into pieces.

Linking this post to the event Magazine Mondays, hosted by Ivonne@Cream Puffs in Venice.

                                                             magazine-mondays-logo-1-cpiv.jpg

17 comments:

  1. This cake indeed looks like biscotti. Would love to give it a try though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it and do let me know Radhika :D.
      Have a great day!

      Delete
  2. A giant cookie! Love the combo of almond and lemon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter said the same thing "look a giant cookie" :D!

      Delete
  3. Though, I try to deny it, I guess at the moment you could call me a "Blog Addict!" Hehe! Well, if anyone asks me, My Blog? Oh I just blog, to past time! LOL!! wink!!
    The lemon cookie looks wonderful, perfect with a cup of tea or coffee!
    Waiting to hear all about your class!
    Have a delicious Sunday, Anuja!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce,
      Shall we start something like a Bloggers' Anonymous, only difference being, instead of weaning them, we will encourage people to blog more often :D.
      Would've loved to share these with you with a hot cuppa and the weekly updates. Will post soon about my baking class :D.
      Have a fab sunday!
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. Your lemony almond cookie looks fabulous! Love the soft chewy texture of it too. Looking forward to hear more about your baking class. Have a wonderful weekend, Anuja! HUGS! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kit,
      The cookies were indeed delicious and perfect accompaniment to a hot cuppa :D.
      My first week went so fast, m still struggling to figure out the best (possible) way to adjust everything around my baking course schedule. Anyhow, m sure things will smooth out by the end of second week.
      Thanks for the hugs (needed it badly :D)!!
      Have a fab Sunday!
      xoxo

      Delete
  5. This looks so good. I need a piece and a cup of coffee right about now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Ellen. LOL. Bring over your coffee and we will share the cookie :D

      Delete
  6. Hi Anuja,
    Lemony and almond my favourite. I bet this will be so yum with a cup of tea too.
    Can I have a small piece please? :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very original this sheet. Love the crunchiness of this biscuits and I adore almonds. Will steal this from you! X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anuja, this looks so crispy and delicious. Nice with coffee. I am also waiting to hear all about your course. Hope you're having loads of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Anuja, your cookies look so good. Love the combination, it's definitely a winner recipe. I love anything lemony.

    Hope to read more of your interesting baking class. Will wait patiently for your posting.

    Have a nice week ahead, warm regards. Big hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi anuja, nice looking sheet cookies and delighted to know that they taste similar to biscotti!Hope all is well with your baking course. blog addict? oh, i dont wish to be one actually!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I'm a BA too! LOL! I think BA also stand as Book Addict too and I think that applied on me too .... LOL!

    My husband grumble and think I should blog less and spend more time with my family... but blogging is too fun to miss... *guilty look*

    Your deconstructed cookie looks very yummy and pinching them into pieces seems to be an interesting way to eat this cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look like they'd be so comforting and yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...