Saturday, 12 May 2012

Vanilla Ice Cream with Balsamic Roasted Strawberries

Now that the summer holidays are kicked in, I have to constantly look out for new activities to keep Saee (my eight year old) busy (like skating, swimming and taekwondo are not enough). Aai, I m bored. There's nothing good on T.V (thats after watching non-stop back to back episodes of Chhota Bheem and Doraemon) . I m bored. I already read that. I m bored. Can I have some more oreos. I m bored. No, I don't want to play with Ira. I m bored. Get the picture??  In a span of one week, I have grown a second shadow. A constantly talking and very-very bored shadow.


And so when, on a very boring afternoon, my this month's edition of GoodFood magazine arrived, she beat me in picking it up, and the moment she glanced at the cover, she was over the moon. The magazine's full of fab ice creams and sorbets and fr-yos. Saee immediately sprung into action and started assembling ingredients (like mother, like daughter). Look  Aai, Let's make easy ice creams, my darling daughter was on an ice cream making spree. She wanted to make all the three flavours, strawberry, vanilla and pistachio. I had to literally shake her to take her out of her trance and to make her see the right way...urrr which (in my  home) is my way (always :D). Somehow I managed to convince her to make just one flavour, vanilla, and then I zanzied it up by swirling my balsamic strawberries into it. The result was absolutely delicious, with chunks of strawberries in every bite and the balsamic vinegar provided just the right tartness to the sweet ice cream. If you don't have any balsamic strawberries, don't worry you can alternately use any preserves or even jams, store bought or homemade.


Like all good things come to an end, so has the strawberries season in India. Actually, this year has been better than before, as my father-in-law was frequently having work-related Mahabaleshwar trips, we've been spoiled silly by loads and loads of these berries.


Some were used fresh in my bakes (check here, here, here , here and here) and some were used in delicious roasted balsamic strawberries (check here). As the season is officially closed, now is the time to dig into my frozen stash (leftover by the Egg-Less Cake with Quark Cheese and Roasted Balsamic Strawberries).

                         See that faint pink swirl, thats the strawberries...yumm

Easy Vanilla and Strawberry Ice Cream
Adapted from the GoodFood magazine, May'2012 issue
Ingredients:
600 ml double cream (I used low fat cream)
100 grams caster sugar
500 ml custard (I used box mix)
vanilla extract
1/3 cup roasted balsamic strawberries ( you can increase or decrease the amount, I used 1/3 because that was what left in my freezer :D)

Method:
Make the custard according to the package instructions (use sugar as instructed on the package). Let it cool down to room temperature. Whip the cream to soft peaks. Add the sugar and continue whipping for a few more minutes. Fold together the custard with the whipped cream and add drops of vanilla. Place in a freezer safe container in freezer. After about 2-3 hours, when the ice cream starts to set, churn it into your food processor or mixer and return the ice cream back to the freezer. After 1 hour , when the ice cream is slightly set, swirl the balsamic strawberries into the ice cream. Leave to set overnight. Soften slightly by taking out of the freezer 10 minutes before serving.

To all the yummy mummies out there
Happy Mothers' Day!!!

I m linking this to Magazine Mondays, hosted by the wonderful Ivonne of Cream Puffs in Venice.

                                               

5 comments:

  1. Wow, wish that container of ice cream is in MY freezer right now! Looks good and delicious with the balsamic strawberries!
    Happy Mother's Day to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog Anuja! You are definitely my first Indian food blog I have discovered! so great to have found you, this ice cream sounds amazing and looks so delicious! balsamic strawberries - who'd have thought! thanks for sharing this great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy this ice cream and great idea to use balsamic strawberries. Very inventive and must be a great flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing flavor mix! Have a great summer.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...