Wednesday, 29 February 2012

Fresh Fig and Cashew Bread

I had loads of fun in February experimenting with my Daring Baker's Quick Bread Challenge. Did I tell you I love quick breads? You can fool around with them, experimenting with new flavours, new ingredients and discovering something gorgeously tasty in the process.  And the most important thing is, like the name suggests, they are quick with minimal efforts involved. You just have to mix wet ingredients with dry ingredients and thats it.


I have already posted my Green Chutney Loaf, now it's time for my Fresh Fig loaf. I had some fresh figs lying around in my fruits basket and one fine morning I decided to use them in my bread. The fresh figs in the bread gave it a very moist texture and the cashews provided the nuttiness required.



Do you know Figs are one of the highest plant sources of calcium and fiber? Figs also contain many antioxidants. Enjoy a slice or two of Fig bread for breakfast and you have your fill of calcium and antioxidants for the day.

Fresh Fig Bread:

Ingredients:
1 cup (115 grams) Cashews or Walnuts, coarsely chopped (optional)
1 3/4th cup (230 grams) all purpose flour
3/4th cup (150 grams) caster sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4th teaspoon baking soda
1/4th teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 1/2 cups (approximately six figs) fresh figs, finely chopped or pureed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Method:
Preheat oven to 180 degree Celsius and place the rack in middle of the oven. Lightly grease and flour a 9"x5"x3" loaf pan and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon and cashews. Set aside.
In a measuring jar or another bowl, combine the figs, eggs, melted butter and vanilla and mix with a rubber spatula or a wooden spoon. Now lightly fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients (with the rubber spatula or wooden spoon) just until combined and the batter is thick and chunky, you do not want it smooth. Do not overmix the batter otherwise the bread will be rubbery and tough. Scrape batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Place on a wire rack to cool, for about 10-15 minutes and then remove from the pan. You can enjoy this bread warm, fresh from the oven or you can also freeze it.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, impressive! I dont know that I'd have enough courage to use fresh figs in a quick bread. :) It looks absolutely delicious though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does taste good :). Try it.
    Thanx for visiting Trina!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of a fresh fig bread, yours turned out good! I was thoroughly impressed with your Green chutney bread..can imagine how good that must have tasted!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...